3 Potential Ways to Get Repair Money If a Neighbor's Child Breaks Your Window

It's a classic story: a young boy or girl is playing with a baseball, accidentally throws it too hard in the direction of the neighbor's house, and causes a window to break. Even though you might have seen this scenario happen on TV, in the movies, or even in real life, few things can prepare you for the annoyance that you might feel if it happens to you. Even if you might be friends with your neighbors and quite fond of their children, you will probably want someone to cover the damage to your window.

Luckily, a good glass repair company, like one you can find at http://www.unitedglassaurora.com, should be able to fix the window without completely replacing it, but you probably don't want to be the one to foot the bill. Luckily, you have a few options for having it paid for.

1. Strike Up a Deal with Your Neighbor

Don't automatically assume that your neighbor won't want to handle the damage. Many parents will cover such expenses without any argument, so don't be afraid to walk next door or across the street to tell your neighbor about what has happened. Try not to be confrontational; instead, simply let him or her know about the situation and ask if he or she will remedy it. If the parent does not have the money to spend, consider offering the offending child the option to "work off" some of the payment by doing household or outdoor chores for you. Also, consider mentioning the idea of filing an insurance claim with your neighbor; if he or she has a homeowner's insurance policy with personal liability protection, there is a good chance that the policy could cover the damage without you having to contact your own insurance company.

2. Contact Your Homeowner's Insurance Company

Your homeowner's insurance company isn't just there in case a terrible storm wreaks havoc on your home. Many policies cover small types of damage as well, so you should call your insurance company to ask about which steps to take to get your window fixed. An insurance adjuster will probably come out and take a look at the damage, and you will have to pay your deductible, but this might be more affordable than having to pay for the damage yourself.

3. Take Your Neighbor to Small Claims Court

If you aren't properly insured, or if you don't want to file the claim on your insurance policy, you may be able to take your neighbor to small claims court to have the matter resolved. You will need to contact your local clerk to find out how to proceed, since different laws apply in different jurisdictions.